SMART Recovery is a 4-Point Program® that helps people recover from all types of addictive behaviors, including: alcoholism, drug abuse, substance abuse, drug addiction, alcohol abuse, gambling addiction, cocaine addiction, and addiction to other substances and activities. SMART Recovery (Self-Management And Recovery Training) is not a 12-step group, like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) or Narcotics Anonymous (NA).
To support individuals who have chosen to abstain, or are considering abstinence from any type of addictive behaviors (substances or activities), by teaching how to change self-defeating thinking, emotions, and actions; and to work towards long-term satisfactions and quality of life.
- Teaches self-empowerment and self-reliance.
- Encourages individuals to recover and live satisfying lives.
- Teaches tools and techniques for self-directed change.
- Meetings are educational and include open discussions.
- Advocates the appropriate use of prescribed medications and psychological treatments.
- Evolves as scientific knowledge of addiction recovery evolves.
SMART Recovery (Self Management And Recovery Training) helps individuals gain independence from addiction (substances or activities). Efforts are based on scientific knowledge and evolve as scientific knowledge evolves. The 4-Point Program offers specific tools and techniques for each of the program points:
- Point 1: Building and Maintaining Motivation
- Point 2: Coping with Urges
- Point 3: Managing Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors
- Point 4: Living a Balanced Life
SMARTRecovery.org. (2018). Get Started | SMART Recovery. [online] Available at: https://www.smartrecovery.org/get-started/ [Accessed 7 Jan. 2018].